Tuesday, May 01, 2007


Do Larry Nolan’s legs ever hurt so much that he drinks a bunch of wine post race to dull the pain?

Does Michael Hernandez drink that beer post race to mock me and my inability to process beer without getting a wicked hangover and gaining five pounds as a result?

Does Kevin Metcalfe struggle to not eat pizza?

Does Mark Howland ever find himself not able to train because he has to take a customer golfing instead?

Does Larry Hibbard’s wife ask him to plant a garden after getting back from a hard ride?

Does James Coates ever have a bad day training?

Does Rich Thurman ever question whether the pace is too berserker at the beginning of a mountain bike race?

Does Chris Wire’s wife ever get on him about how much riding and racing he does at the height of his racing season?

Does Gannon Myall work to look that comfortable while drilling it on a cross bike?

Does John Funke think that the amount of money he spends on his bicycles may be a bit extreme?


These are the questions that I don’t know the answers to. But sometimes, when I’m out training, they rattle through my head. I may never know.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Blogger Lothar Glerbny said...

I'm with you...these guys are freaks of nature. I wish I had half their talent!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Great post and a great ride at Firestone.
So if you do well at Fontuky are you qualified for nats?

Curious if your doing Skyline Park.

8:44 PM  
Blogger nosajpalnud said...

Re: your last post - I recommend Alisal Ranch or somethin' along those lines for a couple days after the race. Looks like Griff has some training to do after he heals up to keep up with you on the mtb

I don't know all the guys on your list, but remember seeing Hibbard at an xterra when I first started tris - man that dude has some genetics.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Lothar-I wish I had just half of one of Larry Nolans legs. How much do one of those things weigh?

Gianni-Qualified for nats but not going. It's in Vermont which I believe is in Paraguay or somewhere. Also, Skyline is wayyyy past my skill set. When I was younger I could clear most of that stuff at speed. Now my eyeballs pop out of my head trying to navigate on those trails. That's a mountain bikers race.

Jason-True bummer about Griff. He was supposed to be going to Fontana with me. Sucks to be going down there without him. Hibbard came through me at Firestone Walker like I was a catholic school girl--skirt and all. He then flatted, fixed it, and came through me again. Chuckling the second time. Holy crap that guy is otherworldly.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

That's funny about Hibbard passing you twice. I hate those Ned Overend types who do that in races... flat and then race back to the front. Once I solo off the back, I make it stick!

11:49 AM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

show off

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home