Friday, May 04, 2007



Well greetings from Fontana and the Norba National #3. Wish you were here if for no other reason than to confirm that this is the most unusual racing venue known to the sport. Ask anyone what they think of when you mention mountain biking and no doubt they will wax poetic about mountains and trees and blue skies and stream crossings and animals crossing their path until eventually you tune them out. It's a little different down here. The course is carved out of some hard scrabble land that was cast off by I don't know whom. They must have been pretty particular because the land that's been developed around it isn't much better. The picture posted is actually on the course. After passing graffiti tagged rocks and drainage ditches, you have to pass through what maybe was once a dumping ground. All that's missing is the "No Dumping" sign and the scene would be complete. Once you tune out the peripherals, the trails are pretty awesome. There is some climbing, but nothing longer than seven minutes or so. There are plenty of places to hammer, so I should be able to chase back on to any of those wafer thin climbers that claim this sport. There are some sections that are fairly technical as well. A big departure from Norba Nat #2 near Solvang (sooooo last week). It's the most technical of the three courses yet, so I best have my A game come morning time.

Speaking of game, one of the things that I find amusing about traveling is that somebody somewhere decided that every hotel room needs a TV. Not having one at home, it's an afterthought in my world. But once settled, I do push the old power button to see what comes belching forth. Apparently my man, David Hasselhoff is in a bit of a rough patch. And I only say he's my man, because I am of German heritage and everyone knows that Ze Germans love David Hasselhoff. After watching the above clip, I really didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Back in the day, that was like having a late night snack with any number of people--most certainly my little brother. What I found shocking though comes at the end when Hasselhoff says that he's going to get back on his "game". Did I miss something? Exactly when did David have "game" and who was it that gave it to him? If these silly shows want to do some real reporting, somebody should get to the bottom of the Hasselhoff and Game issue. That could be bigger for someones career than torching Nixon ala Woodward and Bernstein.

Anyway, like I said above, wish you were here. My normal companion and racing compadre and whipping boy as of late, Steve Griffiths, fell on his face last week at Madera, so I'm flying solo. Hope you're feeling better Griff. Hope the rest of you are well, too.

Johnny GoFast

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

You know, you're starting to piss me off. I'm gonna have to start building up a serious can of whoop and save it just for you.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Can't wait. Bring it on. And Bring Oz with you.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

aaaahhhh....Fontana...has a special place in my heart!

9:17 PM  
Blogger nosajpalnud said...

That pic reminds me of a trip down that direction way back in my EY auditing days. Had a mining client that bought a co. down that way and I had to visit such grand places as Fontana, Corona, Pomona, Upland, etc. What a shit hole. The Sheraton in City of Industy was just weird so we ended up staying in Costa Mesa and driving in. Hope you have a smog mask. Anyway GL in the race and let us know how it goes.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home