Tuesday, August 29, 2006



So I kind of look at training like filling up buckets. Hopefully the bucket that is the fullest at the beginning of racing season is the bucket marked, "great workouts." The middle bucket would be marked, "alright, but you're not going to win any races" and the last bucket would be labeled, "why'd you even bother getting off the couch?" So I've been getting plenty into the middle bucket (see yesterdays post) but hardly any into the "great workout" bucket. Unfortunately, the "you're pathetic" bucket is nearing the brim. Well yesterday I had one of those rides that was like an epiphany. The plan called for an agressive ride keeping the HR in the high zone three range for an hour and a half. I did a pretty good warm up and then went after it. No problem getting into the zone, but I haven't had too much difficulty hitting targeted zones up to this point. The problem has been maintaining it. Yesterday, no problems. I had great thoughts rumbling through my head. Thoughts like, "too bad Griff isn't racing cross this year. I'd pop a wheelie all over his face," and "too bad Griff lives in Granite Bay. I'd love to whip up on him on a daily basis." Stuff like that. Well before I knew it, I'd blown through my workout and I'd covered a lot of ground. I lobbed the work into the proper bucket and headed to the shower. Today I've got three 17 minute pieces in zone three on the cross bike. Hoping to report a similar success.

I've got a little time on my hands, so I'll take some questions from my studio audience:

Recently you posted that you took your kids to Minnesota. How'd your boy like fishing? Thanks for asking. One day, when I told him that we had to reel up and head for the dock, he looked at me and very distinctly said, "DAMMIT!!!" My heart swelled as that is the proper response to anyone that tells you it's time to quit fishing, but my brain ruled out and the boy was met with the proper disciplinary action.

Are you a fan of the calf high sock?

This is a tough question to answer. If you're talking about the bike, I'd say it looks gay. Very popular, but gay. If you're talking about the gym, then I'd say I'm a big fan. In fact, recently I noticed that it's very popular to either go sans socks or those little I'm not wearing socks socks. Having not been clued in by my fashion director, I noticed one day, after about two months in the gym, that I was the only one wearing the calf high model. So I believe I'm completely backwards. Review: low socks on the bike, high socks in the gym to be completely wrong constantly.

I've been having issues in the bedroom. My wife won't have sex with me. What do you recommend? A few years ago, I went to see a therapist with my wife as we were struggling through the "second year of marriage and do I really have to have sex with you duldrums." The therapist suggested that we do some role playing. Come up with a routine that makes it seem different in the bedroom. We struck upon a routine that has worked well for us. It's called: "$1,000 Las Vegas Call Girl." My wife dresses very skimpily and knocks on the bedroom door. I answer it clad in boxers, white tee shirt and black calf high socks (of course). She then proceeds to rock my world. Be careful however, this can easily morph into $5 crack whore if alcohol has been ingested at any point during the evening.

That's all I have time for today. You've been a great audience. Now back to work.

Johnny GoFast

1 Comments:

Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

quit being so witty

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home