Monday, July 31, 2006

Funny things indeed over the past weekend with the Griffociraptors, kids, Thomas, and the oh so unwashed masses. Top five of the funniest in a long line of happy, funny moments throughout the weekend:

Honorable Mention number two: Barely making the train for Felton upon leaving the Boardwalk on Saturday. I had to take the kid for one last leak as there are no bathrooms on the train. As the train is blowing it's whistle, I tell the little boy that it is imperative that we stop at the concession stand to buy two of those mondo beers they sell. He says we'll miss the train. I say Mr. Griffiths will be super happy we took the chance. Safely back on board, the beer handed to Mr. Griffiths did indeed have it's desired result.

Honorable Mention number one: Picking up some local Santa Cruz rag and reading one of those man on the street bits. The question was who would you be if you could be one person. One bullish looking doo rag wearing woman replied Dick Cheney so she could perform a murder suicide thing for world peace.

Number 5: With my daughter between my legs and nearing the drop on the log ride on Saturday, she pushed against me and dug into my thighs with her fingernails something awful for the ride down the waterfall. Scared that I over terrified her, she jumps out of the log to declare that Mr. Griffiths was right about the upcoming waterfall and whether we can immediately do it again.

Number 4: On the bumper cars with the boy, I spin around to see him coming at me full throttle with the biggest smile on his face. I reved her up equal to the collision. We both bounced off into separate directions.

Number 3: Waiting for the girl, who was riding with mom on the Haunted House ride. Again, not sure if it's solid parenting to be terrifying the girl so, but who said parenting isn't a work in progress? So out she comes with a deathgrip on mama, and her blanket pulled perfectly over her head. Mama reported that as soon as she went through the swinging doors, she hid safely under her blanket until I was there to assure her that all was okay at the end of the ride.

Number 2: Griff and I did some loop that left from Felton and went down to Santa Cruz on Hwy 9. We rode past the University and then on some road that brought us back to Felton. Griff did the ride the day before but decided to turn around as he wasn't sure that the road we were on was the right one. After showing me where he turned around, we arrived at a sign that said, "Felton this way 3 miles." Griff needed only to go about 500 more yards the day before. Instead, he panicked, turned around, and spent a lot more time on the bike than what his plan called for.

Number 1: At the ranger show on Friday night learning all sorts of things about decomposers, a little boy returned to the audience after performing a skit. He was sitting right in front of us. My wife said to me, "his grandparents must be really proud." With that the lady turns around and says, "actually, we're his parents, but we get that a lot." My wife sat in silence mortified as I sat wiggling with suppressed laughter. To my wife's credit, the lady must have looked 60, but I'm usually the one to utter such comments due to my foot in mouth disease.

These are only the highlights as not a moment wasn't filled with something excellent. Hope you are well and that this week brings you joy like no other.

Johnny GoFast

3 Comments:

Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you = big softy

11:41 AM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Nice- We're sitting here planning the family fall trips ourselves. Working on Big Sur for Turkey Week. Nice little cross race down that way on Sunday.

3:27 PM  
Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

love the "grandparents" moment.

my wife has done a couple of those too.

why oh why can't everyone be tactful like me??? (snicker)

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home