Monday, August 20, 2007



Took the 'winks bowling on Saturday evening. As they told the man at the desk when we arrived, "we roll on Saturday's Sir." Great to hear that I'm growing up white trash. Anyway, we went to the local bowling alley that I've frequented since 1976. Nothing's changed since I've first stepped foot in that place. Sure the scoring is electric and they have the pop up bumpers and all, but everything else is straight out of my memory. The girl took to the "sport" almost immediately. She was able to roll and then get in my lap before the ball struck the pins. That's pure bowling talent and a follow through I'm sure Earl Anthony (former owner of the Danville Bowl-the history lesson continues) would have been proud of. Also, she perfected the old ball drop and then kick technique. Basically, she would run up to the line, drop the ball with a very loud thud, and then get it rolling by giving it a kick like shove with he right foot. Excellent. Other trick shots include but not limited to: Rolling the ball up the lane only to have it stall and come rolling back at us (she did this twice) and rolling the ball into another lane. She bowled a 69 in the first game and a 66 in the second.

The boy was a little more into it and constantly wanted to know the score. He even has a little body english working these days. As you can see in the above picture, he had every bowlers dream spare opp. The dredded 7/10 split. Dredded on one hand but also the greatest opportunity in bowling. You convert that spare and you can stick that in the hall of fame for shots. He didn't convert. He rolled a 75 and an 87.

Dad enjoyed himself as much as bowling will allow. I am proud to say I won and did not use the bumpers. The first game I rolled a 112 and then followed that up with a 160. That's way above average. Started that second game with two strikes in a row and then finished with three strikes (called a turkey). WooHoo!! Anyway, hope you are well and that you have set a side a night that you can roll. "To roll is good for the soul." Bowling legend Ernie McCracken

Johnny BowlFast

3 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

Nice day with the kiddies!

I'm a full on Munson when I lace those things up.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Than bit about Fort Ord and the wife is harsh. My wife tells me to have fun or come home. Mostly because I am grouchy A-hole when I didn't have fun.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I change the subject for a minute? Going back in time, early January bowl season, I'm watching the Fiesta Bowl - OU vs Boise State. BSU getting no props for their undefeated efforts. OU losing to Oregon on not one but two bogus calls in final minute, otherwise they are in the hunt for the championship game. OU firmly in control til near the end, Boise State mounts a furious comeback filled with job dropping plays that make me leap out off my couch time and again. They win in OT, then get dissed because "OU wasnt that strong"....by the media. Anyway, Im watching thinking - 1. Who is coming up with this stuff? 2. Who has the balls to call it? They pan to the coach, who I recognize but not sure why...did he play at OU once, maybe Miami..? Clearly I recognize him as a quarterback and in my buzzed beerdrinking state late into the 4th quarter I just can't say why....So it hit me, what, 7 months later, as Im watching it on BEST DAMN SPORT SHOW Best Touchdowns...and I dont know why it hit me, but it did - That guy was a quarterback at Davis when I was there.

I don't expect any of you bicycle guys to know or care, but I think he was the John always tells the story of who was nailing Coach Sochor's hot daughter and that she gave him a large framed naked photo of herself. Or something like that. Anyway, first rookie NCAA coach since 1900 to go undefeated, and was Bear Bryant Coach of the year. Maybe this is not new news out in California, or not new news to anyone who isnt braindead like me, but good for this guy and good for Davis. Last time Davis was in the news here in the heartland it was for the $55,000 Edwards poverty speech we were dumb enough to pay for. I've got a new team to root for it seems.

Schmidt

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home