Tuesday, August 07, 2007


Okay, back in college Griff and I were on the rowing team together. Before our workouts, Griff and I would sneak into the Rec Hall for a little "extra" fun on the rowing machine. "Just a 20 minute piece..to get loose," we'd tell each other. About four pulls into the effort, I'd catch Griff looking over at my computer to see how hard I was pulling. Inevitably, at the end of the session, we'd compare notes as to who went further that day during the 20 minutes. And Griff didn't like to be out done. Neither did I, so I'd peek over at his computer as well. If I'd notice he was pulling harder, I'd squeeze it up to keep pace. He'd notice and squeeze it up just a bit more. At about 10 minutes in, we'd be in a full blown drag race. We'd get off the machine spent. One of us just a little more excited than the other as we trotted out to practice.

So today, we're going up on the mountain for some intervals. Naturally we will "keep" it in the desired zone...for a nanosecond or two and then all hell will break loose. I'll sneak up on him, tucked in tight and sneak a peek at his HR and compare. No doubt it will be above target which will mean mine will be above target as well, but neither will back down. It's not in our DNA. I predict mass quantities of pain and I can't wait. You're invited. Meet at the Rudgear Park and Ride at 5pm to join the excitement. Otherwise, stay well and be excellent to each other.

Johnny GoFast

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to see you quickly back on the Beat Griffs message, but can we get another funny wifeage/nerd story, please?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

Nice. Sorry I'll miss this. How'd Fort Ord go?

You guys interested in a North Gate attack this Sunday?

2:50 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

Uh, just read the fort ord story -- hidden is some old high school saga. Time to pack up that boring road scene and prepare for cross.

Ignore this advice at your loss.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

When I rode by the park and ride tonight, I had a funny feeling all hell was about to break loose....
Hope you had fun, I'll be out there manana commuting home the long way......

7:41 PM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

Ah the good ol days. There was this one time, as we got close to the final big rowing race of the season that our coxswain, Pete, had to tell us to stop doing our double day workouts. No more weightlifting/20minute erg sprint right before practice. I don't think we listened though.

PS- John flies down Diablo faster than anyone I know. Criminy.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home