Thursday, August 02, 2007


Dear Editor-
In yesterday's blog entry, you viciously attacked me by calling me, as you so eloquently put it, a penis sucker. As you recall, I rather innocuously asked you how you liked the tour now that it had run to its conclusion. I would like the opportunity to set the facts straight: I, Carl BorgBorg of Granite Bay, California am not a penis sucker.
I am under the assumption that you felt resigned to resort to this level of thinking because I don't believe as you do that all the tour riders are doped. I feel that to make a general sweeping statement as that is devoid of all critical thinking. In other words, it's the easy way out. Discovery Channel and more specifically, Johan Bruneel, have run an outstanding program and have withstood the personal and very public attacks of everyone from journalists, other race teams, the ASO and UCI organizations, and from people from within their own organizational structure with only financial motivation at their core. They have withstood these attacks and barrages every time and dismissed them as unfounded. Until Ivan Basso, they have never suffered the suspension of a single rider while under their employ. Lance Armstrong has proven to be the cleanest whistle of them all and an ardent foe for anyone leveling unfounded claims in his direction. The only chink in the armor is Ivan himself who was hired by Bruneel and Armstrong despite a very dark cloud over his head. You question the ethical standard surrounding this decision. In a country founded on being innocent until proven guilty, I struggle with your reasoning. After it was proven that indeed he was involved with Peurto and Ivan confessed to his involvement did Discovery move with swift and final judgement. This process was overlooked by a great many, but I saw that as just another example of Discovery getting it both right when they a) went against the conventional wisdom of blackballing a rider due to alleged involvement in doping and b) moved with swift and final action against a rider known to have violated doping rules. If riders routinely pass dope tests, then how can they all be doped? Pointing at a few rotten apples that have been exposed does not make the whole bushel rotten. I too am frustrated that the sport suffers ingrates that feel the only way to go fast on a bicycle is by injecting themselves with God knows what, but don't hate them all. Because I support those that ride, and do so cleanly, does not make me a penis sucker?

Carl BorgBorg
Granite Bay, California

In answer to your last question, perhaps.
Editor

3 Comments:

Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you be killin' me, man.

killin' me.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It is and always will be about JOHN.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Oz said...

I guess Tyler and Floyd were clean as a whistle on Discovery and lost their path the day they left?

Hmm. Clean as a whistle until Ivan Basso showed up? Tyler's Operation Puerto records did go back to Discovery days, but let's ignore that.

I wonder if the real question here is whether it takes a penis sucker to know a penis sucker. That seems hard to know, but my strictly anectodal evidence is those that slaver are more likely to identify others of their kind -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home