Monday, October 23, 2006



WhoooDoggy, that's good fun. Good to see everyone out and about yesterday. Racing at Candlestick always is a good time. Fast and furious with great grass sections and soft sketchy turns. This year I loved the run-up with the funky approach. On one of the laps, I blew the dismount and almost pancaked in the soft dirt. Somehow, while still attached to my left pedal and with my whole body swung to that side of the bicycle, I almost dumped the rig on its right side. I came with in 6" of doing the Six Million Dollar Man but somehow pulled it out one handed style. This came to the rousing approval of the spectator(s) and fellow competitors behind me. Don't know about you, but I was way over the limit the entire race. An HR of 175 for me is pretty high but manageable. Yesterday, my HR was never below 180 and most of the time hovered around 188 (when I could get a reading). I payed dearly and my fade started with three to go. I still managed to see a 196 on the second to last lap. Sure, a new max HR but YIKES! Even though the outcome was pretty pathetic and not that much better than my showing at Hellyer, I still can manage a smile. Not like after Hellyer where I wanted to end it all. At Hellyer I had a delta between my expectations and my outcome akin to the delta between NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association) and the Christian Coalition. As I floundered about at Hellyer watching rider after rider go by me as I a) picked myself off the ground for the umpteenth time; b) broke various parts off my bicycle; c) dropped my chain a record five times, it was difficult to truly assess the cause. Sure, lots of things conspired to put me where I was, but in reality, I did not put myself where I needed to be. In other words, I got what I deserved as the training did not go as I would have hoped. At Candlestick, I put myself out there with less expectations and to give it my all. I did, and enjoyed the race. I'm sure the flu earlier this week played a part in the HR issues and the fade, but the real culprit is the lack of work a few months back. For now, I'll get back on the bike and complete the training and see where it takes me. I mean really, how lucky are we that get to spend a glorious day out elbow to elbow?

Johnny GoFast

1 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

Nice post, that runup got me a few times as well.
Cross- just peg it and see what happens...

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home