Friday, March 30, 2007


Hey everybody, greetings from Arizona. Down here with the Griffociraptor for a bit of the dirt racing. Today was the time trial which featured 12 starters in our category. Pretty pathetic but I guess it's the state of affairs when it comes to mountain bike racing. Similar to the Road Warrior (or was it Mad Max), when the bad guy sees Mel Gibson's pimped out ride and states, "it's the last of the big block V8's!" That's sort of where we are at with the fat tire scene. Well this race and venue kicks ass and Griff and I having been making the best of it. Yesterday we previewed today's TT course and did a lap on Sunday's Cross Country course. It is 100% single track. It's fast and smooth, but watch out there big fella, those are bonafide Arizona cactus looming just off of the trail. Today I saw Griff literally stuff himself into a non cactus like bush when he blew a turn. If it had been a real down to earth cactus, well I just shudder at the thought. It's lightning quick and I'm on the fast track to figuring this stuff out, lest I end up ass deep in a saguaro. I fared okay in the TT today getting clobbered by a guy named Scott Fifeld. He is super fast (not to mention really nice) and beat me by over a minute. He was the fastest expert out there (and I think if he would have raced pro would have come in top 20--probably top five in the semi pro) today of any category so what are you going to do. Some other guy beat me by six seconds which stings a little bit. He was kind of a hairy looking dude, but the guy can ride for sure. They are doing this thing as a stage race so the big dough is the Sunday 30 miler which will decide it all. Having said that, we have another TT tomorrow and I'm gunning for this guy. Griff finished down the list a little, but the boy is illin'. He's been hanging tough so I got to give him some props. The big show will be on Sunday as he's got a couple more days to mend. Like I said, 30 miles over uneven ground with cactus looming just beyond your line, anything can happen. Anyway, hope you are well and I'll try and check in tomorrow. Also, for those still reading, knowing that I was coming on this trip, I've been basically folding laundry all month. Tip: thong underwear does not really need to be folded but also doesn't really lessen the pile of clothes that still need folding. A towel is about the best you could hope to pull. Easy to fold, greatly reduces the relative amount left to be folded. So now you know. I'm out.

Johnny GoFast

2 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

Pretty cool stuff!

2 TT's and a XC race?

I rode north of fountain hills a coupla years ago and really dug it, but yeah, those cacti are no joke...
Get em go fast!

9:46 PM  
Blogger jdub-sama said...

thong bad
towell good
note to self: have wife take more showers and wear less underwear.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home