Tuesday, May 29, 2007



Pretty gentle weekend all in all. Did the House of Pain ride on Saturday and fared okay. The usual shenanigans were tempered a bit as people were saving themselves for Mt. Hamilton or destinations north. At one point I saw Lieto move to the front going up Collier and I thought, "oh for goodness--although I didn't say "goodness"--sakes, here we go." But he just kind of soft pedalled up there and the pace stayed pert near easy. Like the rest of the weekend. It's nice when the rats flee the city and leave it to the rest of us. The Bay Area as it was meant to be. The above is some hot action from my driveway.

Had one of those great workouts today that make you happy to be alive. I did 2 and a half at lunchtime with about and hour and 40 minutes in the tempo zone. Heavy cadence, HR about 150, wind in all directions, temps around 75, legs burning, and thoughts of racing coursing through my veins. Can't wait to see where all this work gets me come the next mountain bike race in Utah come the middle of June.

With a little bit of time, I thought we'd reach in to the mail bag:

Johnny-
Love the site. My question is this: do you think it a little odd that you answer mythical mail? I mean, you have no mail bag, there is nobody writing in with these questions, don't you think people will think you are weird? Chieko Kakihana--Alamo, California


Hey Sugar-
Thanks for writing in. For those of you that don't know, Chieko is my wife. She'd be more recognizable if she could put down the Gloria Steinem autobiography for just a second, but where was I? Right...answering mail. Ummmm....no Chieko, you're the only one that thinks I'm weird. Which makes you weirder for marrying me in the first place. So neaner-neaner-neaner.

Johnny-
Long time reader, fantastic site by the way. As you know, I fell on my face at Madera. Literally. Any suggestions on what not to do in the future? Steve Griffiths--Granite Bay, California


Hey Griff-
Hear you are feeling better and your wife reports that you've been putting in some three hour rides. Seeing how just a couple of weeks ago you could barely move faster than a shuffle, I'd say you're making some quick progress. To get back to your question, I'd advise staying off your face during the sprint. Although I'm no one to talk when it comes to throwing myself on the ground for no apparent reason. I still get a great chuckle out of the part where you asked your teammates to make sure you got credit for finishing so that you could start the road race the next day. Giving them detailed instructions while laying there in a gigantic puddle of your own blood. That's the stuff of legends.

You've been a great audience, stay that way.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like photos of Griff's biff belong in the scrapbook next to Bill's full-body road rash and Oz's broken elbow.

Are there any pics for us rubber neckers to see?

Louis

8:18 PM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

Definitely weird.

Louis, I will post a pic in a future blog if I ever blog again. Was definitely on par with Bill's full body rash.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Griff,

You gotta blog again. I want to know how you did with your board of directors over this tax issue of yours...Plus the pics. Gotta see those pics!

Louis

10:45 AM  
Blogger Gianni said...

That's a pretty sweet ride the boy is rollin' in there.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

Johnny G, you have missed your calling. You should pack your bags, move to LA, and become the next thang to broadcast live.

I can add that even with scars all over an otherwise already ugly mug, knees, and elbows, Griff still pulled my sorry arse all around Lake Tahoe and Tahoe Donnor. He was doing most of the riding sitting up because I guess it still hurts for him to hold the bars. How can I be that darn slow?

The broken elbow pic has been "misplaced" -- probably by the movers in cahoots with my book-wormish wife -- with the move to the flat lands.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home