Monday, July 16, 2007


In case you missed it, a couple of great and well run races this past weekend with lots o' schwag for all. I had to work on Saturday at the rock pile so I missed the hill climb, but the reports suggest an excellent turnout for the TT. Worked the race in the morning on Sunday for the crit and even got to announce the E5 crit race. Which was perfect for this cat 5 announcer. Raced the 35+ 4/5 and E4 races later in the afternoon, but I kind of sucked. My HR was exploding. I was pipped on the prime that featured a $150 cash payout. Later I was second in a two deep prime so I took home a bottle of Wente Merlot. Sweet. Had nothing for the sprint in the 4/5 race and I managed to take what seemed like eighth in a seven up sprint in the E4 race (Griff pointed out the absurdity in that statement--but then again--he wasn't there). It was that kind of day.

Ahh, but not all was lost. On Saturday, whilst out on my pre-ride/tune-up for the Sunday double header, I bumped into Gannon Myall of Cyclocross stardom. Turns out he's a heck of a nice guy. I was able to wheedle my way onto his good side as I mentioned that his sister and my wife used to work together. I met her a couple of weekends ago at a party over in Palo Alto. She asked me if I knew him, to which I replied, "does Pinocchio have a wooden penuse?" She told me that he was really nice and that if he put on airs that I should remind him that he sells toilets for a living. I didn't have to pull that tidbit out of my quiver, although I had it at the ready. After the usual crap talk about bikes and weather and air pressure and the like, I launched my attack. I left no stone unturned regarding his training. And he spilled. I asked him how much running he does and he revealed quite a bit. Did you know that he can run a 5 minute mile? Mental note, don't get in a foot race with Gannon Myall. I asked him about local racers and he gave me the lowdown on all of you. Even you Hernando. No mention of Griff, sorry to say. I came away from this chance encounter with stars in my eyes, for sure. I was giddy when I walked through the door and told my wife of my great fortune. She rolled her eyes and told me to take out the trash. I knew she wouldn't understand. Anyway, hugs not drugs. Unless you have drugs...then...hugs and drugs.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Name dropper...

Palo Alto... ooo... we'll soon be beneath you mixing in circles like that.

:)

4:56 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

so, how much running does he do?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

Is it really true he said Hernando runs his tires too hard and that's why he can't handle is rig in the dirt? I find that hard to believe.

PS - When I started reading the blog I thought great.... how can he possibly work my name into this. I wasn't even there. But you did. Thanks - not.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Robo-The wifeage comes from the pennisula and she lords it over me. Totally nauseating.

Lauren-That is now my secret but to suffice it to say...a lot of running. But there's more, I asked him about how much running I should do given that I want to do well in the Pilarcitos series. He had all sorts of ideas which are now tucked safely away. I suggest you ride the boulevard and search this man out.

Griff-He mentioned that Hernando was hard, but I'm not certain he was talking about his tire pressure. It kind of bummed me out because I've got "man love" for this Myall character.

9:41 AM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

myall is a total poofter.


and i'm sure he meant my tread was 'bald', not hard.


or maybe hard and bald?


either way, he's a complete sissypants.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

OV-Hard and bald? I see the "man love" vane switching directions.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home