Tuesday, July 17, 2007


I've known Steve Griffiths for a long time. We met in college and were on the rowing team together. We've been roommates, teammates, competitors and friends. At least I thought we were friends. I spent a week up in Truckee with Steve and his family recently riding bikes, and boating, and lounging about. It was a pretty good time. Then one day I met up with Steve, one of his teammates (Roy who it turned out was pretty cool as well), and a couple of Reno Wheelmen for a ride. It should be stated at this point that I thought I was a good friend to Steve. Hell, I was the best man at his wedding. It also needs to be stated that I've been told that in order to be on the Sierra Nevada/Bikes Plus team, you need to live in either the Folsom area--location of the bike store sponsor, or live in the Chico area--location of title sponsor. I was told this by Steve who it turns out is the president of said team. I don't live in either so it was a natural barrier. Anyway, about half way through the ride, Roy who serves as the vice president and underling to Steve, starts openly recruiting both of these guys. Right in front of me. I quickly looked at Steve and he just chuckled. When I mentioned that neither of these guys lived in Folsom or Chico and that in fact Truckee is equidistant from Folsom as Alamo is, he chuckled some more. Not that I would ride for these beer bellies anyway, but it's nice to be loved. So I rode and seethed while Roy continued on his quest. But the stake through the heart came at the end of the ride. Roy, again not totally convinced that he had recruited these two talents said, "it would be great to have you guys on the team. We only recruit those guys that we like." Ouch. Thank (insert the deity of your choice here) that I was wearing sunglasses because that last comment went straight to the core. Haven't seen my therapist yet, but it may take a few sessions to restore my ego. I need a hug.

Johnny GoFast

8 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

I always like it when the Red Sox steal a Bronx Bomber, and vice- versa.
The Hopyard kicks the Brass Rails' ass.

J

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your mind will set you free..shoot from the core and let it pour

9:48 PM  
Blogger biga said...

Maybe he does REALLY like you, but he doesn't think you're talented enough.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch... thats a great comment. I wish I'd thought of it!

Anyway, don't worry Johno, we'll still love you on team Pegasus.

You have far too much talent to be on their team.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sting of rejection due to inadequacy never goes away. On the bright side, this keeps options open as you are free to guzzle every other beer on the planet besides the overrated Sierra Nevada totally guilt-free.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Wonder said...

He's scared of you. That's why he could not even look at you. You are such the Intimidator.

7:59 PM  
Blogger nosajpalnud said...

Jason B lives in Lodi....

guess its that straight line thing *snip* :)

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me, you're better off not being recruited along with the two soon-to-be former RW guys. Let's just say that Sierra Nevada is doing the Reno Wheelmen a HUGE favor by taking those two guys.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home