Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The wifeage is a lot like you in that she listens to NPR, believes Carter was the greatest president we've ever had, and is all in on the global warming thing. Okay, maybe not exactly like you, but blogland here in California (especially the biker world in which I seem to link to) seems to drift a little lefter than most. Anyway, this morning I reached for the dish washing soap and I discovered this plastic Cascade container. Normally we go for the box o' suds option, but apparently we are doing something different now. So I opened the plastic container and I found individually wrapped packets of suds. Apparently you put one packet in the spot where the powder goes and viola, you're in business. Except, it seems like an incredible waste to have the cardboard box replaced by a hard plastic case and then the free flowing soap flakes replaced by individually wrapped plastic loads. Seems like a lot of packaging which requires a lot of energy and materials that doesn't seem all that necessary. I'm forever shocked at how much packaging there is these days and no one seems to mind. Sure, we are concerned with pollution and resources, but don't take away my individually wrapped string cheese. We are concerned that we are burning up all the fossil fuels in the world, but no consideration is given to the energy and actual oil that is used to manufacture all the packaging. We focus on the behemoths we all are addicted to driving, but nobody pays any attention to needless plastic manufacturing for packaging. I suppose it's along the lines of the fact that two thirds of the nation now support drilling here in the U.S. now that gas prices have soared. The environment is a great cause and everything, but not at the expense of my convenience and pocketbook. Seemingly. Anyway, I found it odd that I couldn't pour the suds into the little compartment today. Hope you are well and that your footprint isn't as big as mine.

Johnny GoFast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home