Tuesday, June 03, 2008

So I jumped in the pool yesterday for the first time in five years. Back before the bike, I was a swimmer. I started when I moved back from Minnesota in '95. It's great as an exercise, but it can get pretty monotonous. When I started getting a little more serious about riding/racing, I gave up on the swimming. It was nice to go back yesterday and see some of the old guard I used to go back and forth with. When I started, I was pretty slow and I worked my way through a lot of the lanes as I improved. Along the way, I met a lot of pretty cool people and a lot of them are still at it.

So the upshot is that I'm way out of shape. But the process has begun and I look forward to a few months of base in an effort to get back to speed on the bike. I'll be doing some cross training (swimming/running/weight lifting) in addition to some long lonely miles on the bike. I'm ready. Back in college, I would return to campus after a summer of debauchery and it would be the same thing. Back then, I could go pretty hard for a couple of weeks and I'd be back to where I left off. Griff used to call it the Two Week Miracle. Doesn't happen like that anymore. But three months from now, things will certainly be different. Catch you rollin'.

Johnny GoFast

2 Comments:

Blogger jdub-sama said...

Good to have you back. Maybe you can do a tri with Adam...

10:42 AM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

WOW did I miss out i've been away from your blog for a long time... my love to you re: your mom! my fondest memory of her was at H and L's wedding she told me she would hunt me down and KILL me if I hurt brian... I still believe she would... : ) the swimming sound so nice!! big hugs all around... xoxo c

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home