Friday, September 12, 2008


So I've always said that I'm so far behind the technological curve that when I finally get on the bus, there is some new innovation that comes and takes its place. In my own little way, I think I somehow have a direct connection to any technological advancement that occurs. Hell, the Internet probably was my fault. For example, a while ago I finally bucked up and got one of those five disc CD changers for my stereo. Up to that point, I was still playing cassettes and (if you can believe it) spinning vinyl. I finally broke down and went out to buy one because I was tired of getting up to flip the record. The beauty in this is that by the time I get around to buying whatever it is that everyone else has, the price is at rock bottom. I guess I'm fiscally responsible in some ways. Anyway, shortly after I bought my CD changer, somebody invented something called an IPOD. Doh!

So I finally broke down and got myself one of those watt meter thingies. Vaughn Van Note who puts the "(S)Well" in Wells Fargo offered me up his at a low down price and even offered up e-z financing so the wifeage wouldn't find out. He installed it for me because I have even less of a mechanical mind than my techno blind spot that I walk around with. So yesterday I took the thing out for a spin and all I could figure out how to work was the heart rate and the time function. Which put me right back to where I was with my heart rate monitor yet short a few more shekels. So I did what I should have done in the first place (R-T-M as in "read the manual") or more accurately (RTFM). Anyway, I think I've got it down, but there maybe something wrong. The little "Trans Icon" that the manual says is supposed to appear in the upper left hand corner isn't there so I don't think the hub is sending the signal. But seriously, I'm only spitballing here. I've tried to make toast before and gone toastless until the wifeage pointed out that the toaster needed to be plugged in. Hopefully somebody on the team ride (or Vaughn if your reading perhaps you can lend some insight) can straighten me out. We know it won't be Patty Mac of the Thanksgiving Day Worlds fame and new owner of Cat Too-huge legs because he just throws the leg over and pounds out mile after relentless mile.

Anyway, no need for techno babble where I'm going. Off to the Folsom Cyclebration (which I can't help saying without a whimsical flair and slight lisp as I skip gaily through the air) for a little off road TT and cross country race. Watt meters and the like (shaved legs, matching kits, clean shoes and bikes) are only scoffed at on the line. Anyway, hope you are well and sorry for launching the next techno wave as I've glommed on to the latest. I'm sure you will all have some sort of new blood analysis machine mounted to your bars by the time I get back so you can monitor your lactate input/output mid interval. Or something of the nauseating sort.

Johnny GoFast

2 Comments:

Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

First thing to check when the little icon is missing is if the hub needs new batteries.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home