Tuesday, October 06, 2009

So I got to attend a speech that my little boy gave on Waste Managers. Waste Managers are what you call garbage men when your little boy is interested in becoming one. He is doing a unit in school where they have to study somebody that is directly working in our community. Of all the options he had to choose from, he went with Waste Manager. Apparently, being a cop or fireman is so our generation. So anyway, on Wednesday, we got up at oh dark thirty to greet the garbage...um...I mean waste manager truck driver. My boy was at the ready with his questions and we found out his name (Jose), his favorite part of the job (servicing the customer) and the special training required (operating the claw-hydraulic lift but the boy didn't get that so Jose called it the claw, how to operate the truck, and the various safety procedures required). Then on Saturday I took him to the landfill with girl and the Wifeage in tow. They happened to be having an open house that day and people actually came. I've heard of staycations but really...the dump? They had a jumpy house and a catered lunch. The kids both ate a hamburger. The Wifeage and I didn't really have the stomach for a meal at the landfill. Then we got to tour the actual land fill, via limobus (I'm not kidding) and watch the heavy equipment that smashed the garbage into the ground. As we all know, landfills kick off methane gas, and our landfill captures that gas and turns it into electricity. They sell the electricity to Los Altos and Alameda as those municipalities have a green energy policy and they like the fact that they are buying garbage gas. Anyway, the boy was able to recap all of that and did an excellent job on his speech. A couple of proud parents in the room to be sure. Hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

Tomorrow we are back to business with my thoughts on how we can stop uber sensation Don Myrah in cyclocross. Hint: it does not involve me training harder as that wouldn't be enough even if I went at it full time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home