Thursday, April 21, 2011

So in the background there, you can see the top of Grouse Rock. It's out of bounds at Alpine Meadows. It takes about 30 minutes of traversing and hiking to get to that point. Just so's you know, Alpine has an open policy regarding the boundary line. Basically, you are free to roam, but you are on your own or you will have to incur the cost of an evacuation should you screw up. And it being a back country environment, screw ups are a real threat. But if you're willing to make the hike, and the conditions are stable, the terrain and snow can be a huge reward. On this day, the snow was skiing about boot top. I hiked out there with (from the left) Ken, Derrick and Nellie. I get to ski with those guys every winter. It's the only time I see them as they share the same passion. Shortly after this photo was taken, I received a call from my brother and nephew who had fallen behind during the hike. They assured me that they were on their way so I told my crew to head on down. They almost didn't leave because being out there alone is never a good thing. It was my nephews birthday, and the run down the mountain was one of the best of the year. Worth the hike and worth the wait to ski it with my brother and nephew. Anyway, hope you are well.


Kindly,

Johnny GoFast

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm planning a comeback. Griff

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home