Saturday, February 19, 2011


Seriously big skiing up here the past three days! So yesterday we skied Alpine Meadows and it was incredible. Possibly the best in bounds skiing I've ever had. So I was JSA (just skiing along) and the section of snow I was on ripped. The slab wasn't all that big but it definitely would be classified as an avalanche. I was able to get my ski's down underneath the slab and angle my way to my right and
towards a clump of trees. As my progress slowed, I got pinned next to a large tree. It actually gave me comfort because I knew my brother could use the tree as a reference point. He was standing just above the section of snow that tore loose. As I hunkered down next to the tree, I could feel the weight of the slide coming down on me. I was faced down the fall line and I had no idea how much was coming at me. I remember being very calm and thinking this is the real deal. And the snow kept coming. It filled up around me and kept pounding me in the back as it kept rising. I was fortunate in that my hands were free and I could clear a little space in front of my face. The snow at this point started to cascade over my head. And then as furiously as it was coming, it suddenly stopped. Only my head was out of the snow. I was able to turn my head about and I assured my brother that I was okay and started to work my way out of the massive amount of snow that had piled up about me. I was also able to see the section of snow that I had torn loose. It was probably 50 feet long and may be as wide. Small by any standard, but a perfect rip that was maybe 36" deep. As I started to get loose, my brother tried to work his way right, and then the slab that he was standing on, no longer anchored by the section I had torn loose, let go. He immediately went under and his slide started coming towards me. I figured I was safe, but had to look up the hill to try and
identify where he was. His section hit me and started moving me down the hill. It was a short lived event and when it stopped, my brother poked his head up out of the snow letting me know he was okay. We then dug ourselves out and made it down the hill with no other issues. It was the last run before lunch, and when I hit the lodge, I was shaking. So I went to the bar and ordered a beer. The bartender brought me a beer, and in the time it took him to process my credit card, the beer was finished and I immediately ordered another. It calmed me down a bit, but the slide still has me a bit spooked. Not enough to keep me from going out tonight and snowshoeing up to a peak near out cabin and skiing down under a clear sky and close to a full moon kicking off a brilliant light. I suppose I'll credit the near miss to lady luck. Still feeling a bit fortunate that the whole slide thing didn't do me in. Anyway, hope you are well and avoid avalanches. Seems like a no brainer, but thought I'd impart my new found wisdom on you.

Johnny GoFast

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, Jonny! Close call indeed. Glad you didn't meet the same faith as so many James Bond Villains.

Do you think this would have happened had you been on a snowboard?

Just asking.
Louis

9:12 AM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Tough to get those bunny slopes (my domain when I'm dragging my knuckles) to slide. Definite shit my pants moment. Miss you up there.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes. that is the real deal. people always think of avi's as a massive event, but it's the smaller ones that are the most dangerous. so glad you gus are ok.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous ethan kutzscher said...

forgot to sign off
...ethan

10:41 AM  
Blogger duncanjr said...

This is why one should wear tear-away underwear.

Tho not much of a skier, I always 'layer up' before hopping on the m/c.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home