Sunday, September 03, 2017

As a great man once said, "Alright, alright, alright."  Okay, maybe not a great man and maybe just an occasionally pretty decent actor, but what the heck, how about a new blog post?  Feeling good and hope you are too.  Thought, on my drive back from my first cross race today, that maybe I'll do a little posting this year.  So hopefully my escapades out west and as I travel east across the country, I can  find some things to write about.  Or not.  But I know at least one of you has missed me, so why the heck not.


So I used to play a fairly regular game of poker in high school.  My buddies parents had to go to LA for work every Tuesday and as soon as their car pulled out of the driveway, ours would pull in and we'd start shuffling and dealing and betting into the wee hours of the late evening.  We are not talking about big stakes, but when my paper route money accounted for about $30 a month, any losses kind of hurt.  Anyway, my buddy Jon Thoman like to say, as he was raising the pot mid round, "it's poop check time."  Which I took to mean, if you had something decent it was time to get serious.  If not, fold and grab another beer.  Sometimes he was bluffing.  Sometimes he wasn't.  You know the deal.

So the first cross race is kind of a poop check.  If you've done your homework, the first race will give you some reinforcement that your training is going well and it will give you some motivation to keep the continue (as Sammy Sosa once eloquently articulated).  If you get slaughtered, you need to get your crap together and that right quick.  The only problem with being behind, is that everyone else is motivated and fast and training.  So you either get better than them at training, or you keep getting slaughtered.

"Good fucking Lord, GoFast, get to the goshdarn point!!," the crowd roars. 

Yikes, blogging in front of a live audience has its weak points apparently.  So today was my first race of the season.  The course was in Monterey at Ft. Ord which can be a bit mountain bikey.  And today's course certainly didn't disappoint on the mountain bikey front.  But you have to be able to ride your bike so it's all to the good.  There was only one dismount on a loose run up that was followed by a dry heaving single track climb.  Followed by a rickety descent which rated fairly high on the pucker factor.  The rest was power or turny or fairly routine.  I raced hard and stayed in the top five the whole race.  On the second to last lap, I moved into fourth but the guy I passed had crashed so I'm thinking he was suffering from that.  On the last lap, I was moving on the third place guy but then I flatted.  So the first race turned out to be a DNF.  But I was competitive and was able to jack the heart rate and felt confident and strong.  I would have preferred passing the guy in front of me for third, and fourth would have been okay too.  But I guess in the end, all I got was a dry hump for all the effort. 

 
 
Hope you are well and hope I can keep it continue this year. Those are bikes back there and they are happy to be racing again.  So am I.  Now don't be such a stranger.
 
 
Johnny GoFast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home