Tuesday, December 05, 2006



Funniest thing I ever saw at a bike race was when some Spine guy was getting it from some other racer type. I was warming up for a crit which was the final leg of a Pilarcitos Stage Race a couple of years ago. The day before we did a hill climb and flat time trial. Maybe you remember the one. So I'm warming up watching some of the action and this Spine guy comes across the line to not only win the crit, but take the overall as well. He rolled up to his car and began to get dressed for a post race roll/victory parade around the Brisbane office park area. Some dudes came by and congratulated him. But one guy came up and started reading him the riot act about something or other. I wasn't really listening to the words as bikers tend/can argue about the silliest of things. This guy apparently took umbrage with the way the Spine guy had won. I have no idea what transpired during the race, but I found it amusing that the guy that won was getting hammered for winning. Another time I saw two go at it during registration. When I asked a buddy of mine what they were fighting about my buddy responded, "they're fighting about what ever it is road bikers fight about." I am not making generalizations here but (uh-oh...big generalization coming), it seems like there is a lot of angst within the ranks of road cyclists. I've tried to figure out why that is. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most of us are well heeled type A'ers that didn't have a team sport growing up. Maybe we longed to belong for so long, that we never developed a social skill set between chemistry class and band practice. Maybe it's the solidarity of the sport, the countless hours spent training alone, that completes our ability to know all and gives us the power to instill this know-all into others...at volume if necessary...or so I've observed.

So luckily I've been hampered as of late. Otherwise my wings might be clipped for doing something wrong on the weekly team ride. Some loud air being expelled within the ranks of fellow Pegasaurus' due to an attack on the Sunday easy-pleasy ride. I've always been of the mind set that if people want to go hard on an easy day or easy on a hard day, let 'em. Some feel differently however and there are all sorts of fun-fingerpointage going on. Just another day in, "As the Pegasaurus Turns." Now go do the right thing and if you see somebody doing something counter to the flow, LET IT GO.

Johny GoFastunlessI'msupposedtogoSlow

4 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

bike racers are silly, specially those crazy road racers.

1:56 PM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

oh, wise Pegasaurus.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Johnny go-fast, Sunday where were you?
Found myself in the 35 A's and deep in doo.
Kept looking for the Pegasaurus come to lap my ass.
Smarter to rest those ribs and give it a pass.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Johnny GoFast woke up on Sunday morn wondering what life was all about. If I raced in the B's I might get crashed out. If I race in the A's I'd be off the back. What's the point either way? I pulled up the covers with a whimper. Later, as the pangs of regret sank in, I contemplated selling my bikes. My wife laughed and closed the door with a, "let me know when the pity party is over." I gulped more beer wondering how it is that I found such a cool woman.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home