Monday, December 04, 2006



So every now and again, (insert the deity of your choice here) gives me a glimpse of good things to come. Sort of like back in college when you had to stand outside of some bar waiting your turn to be stuffed into the fire trap. Every now and then the door would open and you'd get a look at everyone in there whooping it up, a snippet from some crappy but awesome when your hammered cover band cranking out just a bit of "Brown Eyed Girl" and then wham the door would shut. You stand there with nothing but anticipation and visions of the hot and certainly drunk chick that you spied across the bar when the door opened and shut to let another lucky winner through. Today for example, I had a great ride at lunchtime. No discomfort what so ever and I had nothing but positive thoughts racing through my head. Makes me wish I would have gotten off my depressed ass yesterday to race with the crossers, but we can't have it all. Maybe my mopiness yesterday lead (the deity of your choice) to throw me a bone. I don't know and I don't really care. Today's ride made me happy. I can't recall the last ride that I had where I was this amped when I got off the bike. A few years ago I was racing at the Sea Otter Classic. I was right behind Steve Ouzounian, a really good friend of mine and a terrific racer. I remember thinking that I was feeling great and that I was going the fastest I'd ever gone. Mind you that I wasn't beyond my comfort zone or even running my HR that high. What was so cool about the situation is that in the past, even if I wanted to, I couldn't keep up with the fastest guys. That was the first time that I had the speed to hang. Shortly after this revelation, I hit a bump and crashed pretty hard ending my day prematurely. But I distinctly remember thinking that I had the speed to hang, and that was something new. I'd seen through just a crack in an open door that I belonged. Today was similar. I'm pretty out of shape now and I've gained a lot of weight due to the layoff, but I got off the bike more motivated than when I got on, and if I can keep that going, I'll be fast in a few months.

Happy to report that we got the tree in one swing. I almost fell over. The wife pulled it out and gave me the sowhatsyouthink routine and I played along. With that she said, "well let's drag it up front and be done with it." Oh happy days. Got it in the house yesterday and it was decorated in less than an hour. The kids did most of the lower level ornament decorating and I got the upper quadrant. Only a few of the ornaments that I placed up front were later moved to the backside due to some sort of ugliness standard that I am keenly unaware of. The wife is mostly better at all those kinds of things anyway. Nice to have the tree up and dressed. The house looks festive as a result. In any event, hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home