Friday, November 10, 2006


Took the boy to Yosemite last weekend to check out Half Dome. Had a great time bouldering, watching the rock climbers on El Capitan, hiking through the forest, etc. This weekend we are headed up to Truckee for more of the same. I'll get to be with my daughter and wife, so it will be double the fun. Hoping to hike some of the rim trail off of Brockway Summit/Watson Lake. The section from Watson lake affords some of the most beautiful views of Lake Tahoe that I know of. Purely spectacular. I miss racing, but I'll make the best of it. Truly, being with the family is way better anyway.

Last night I was sitting with the wifeage on the couch as we watched an episode of Sopranos on DVD. We don't have cable so we watch all the stuff that's been watched months before in hopes that we can join popular conversations around the watercooler if not a half a year late. Anyway, I relate to her that I'm having shooting pain down the backside of my left arm. Don't know if I've got some sort of pinched nerve thing or if this is some new developement due to compensating for other injuries in the region. My wife then starts asking me whether my fingertips are numb and low and behold, I think they are. Then she wonders aloud if I'm having a heart attack. I dismiss the notion, but then in my head I think, maybe. So I'm sitting there for the next five minutes with the numb arm, shooting pain, normal chest discomfort and I start to convince myself that I am having a heart attack...or maybe I'm having a stroke. I read somewhere that people, at the onset of a stroke can't smile. So I think, maybe I should try and smile. So I force one out. Right then my wife happened to look at me and asked me what the hell I was doing with such a weird look on my face. Busted, I confess that I was checking to see if I was having a stroke by smiling. I don't know if she's ever laughed at me so hard, and the ridiculousness of it all got me to laughing that the ribs started to ache something awful. I think I'm losing it/whatever I had left. Anyway, to those of you racing this weekend, I salute you. Go fast and hard and smile if for know other reason than to let other people know your not having a stroke.

Johnny GoFast

2 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

I like that section for MTB as well, though i guess it's snowed over by tommorrow.
Enjoy!

1:54 PM  
Blogger duncanjr said...

LOOK'T MAN Perhaps you could fill in the title section of your postings. While you're at home having heart attacks and making faces with your wifey, I'm out here in hippie-redneck central breathing Bay Area smog and suffering early-onset dementia... by the time I get over to the comment window I've forgotten what the hell I was commenting on and I have to go back and reread the fucking post. Jeez!

U5M

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home