Friday, February 02, 2007


So there has been some chatter out there lately regarding laundry. My wife is a lot like you in that she hates the endlessness of the laundry. Can't blame her. My daughter often has multiple outfit changes during the day. And she prefers the frilly dress type outfit to the wash/wear/fold and stuff into the drawer type. Those dresses also need to be ironed and neatly hung on a hanger. The boy of course is a boy, so his stuff is a bit more rudimentary but it still needs to be washed, folded and stuffed. I don't add that much to the pile, but there is a minor contribution. To tell a family secret, I'll often wear my bike shorts more than once and a jersey never goes into the washer without being worn three or four times. (I'll pause as it dawns on you that the stinky guy in the peloton is me). That being said, there is a ton of laundry on a daily basis and my wife, given all the best intentions, cannot keep up. Not that I help out all that often. I've been trying to run a load for her when I can and I try to transfer a load from the washer to the drier when ever I pass through the laundry room. I've given up on folding though. Once, in an effort to help, I folded a whole load of dirty clothes and I mixed in dirty clothes with a clean batch. Though she often procrastinates at getting it done, she has an uncanny ability to know what's good, what's bad, and what's hopeless.
When I was younger and in my prime (aka single), I'd go to the laundromat every Tuesday night. Without fail. I'd bring some beer and a big wad of tobacco. I'd wash and dry and fold and hope that some hot Carmen Electra type would come through the door. The chore would take me a couple of hours max, and I'd be set for the week. I never once witnessed a hot chick in there. Really, hot chicks don't wash there stuff in a laundromat. They're smarter than us in that they know only creepy, tobacco chewing, beer guzzling single freaks hang out in laundromats. They ensure that there place includes a washer and drier or they have a boyfriend somewhere that has a washer and drier. Anyway, the point is that I had a routine. I suggested this to my wife one time. One time is all I suggest unless you like large lumps about your head on a regular basis.
So get to the point, you say? Alright. What would it be worth if I took over the job for a month or so? Is it worth even throwing out there or will I get clobbered with a, "you get nothing. You should do it out of the love of your heart." I mean really, somehow I haven't had to run point on this chore for the past five years or so. Would I score good guy points? If your domestic partner (I've been living in California way too long being all PC and shit) offered this up, what would you do? Just curious. Want to know what I might be able to get out of this thing.
Johnny GoFast

5 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

i would be totally thrilled if my husband offered that!

however, i know him well and while i think he'd have good intentions, i'm not sure he'd really do it for a month.

but YOU should do it. and then let us know how the experiment goes.

and i can't believe you wear your shorts more then once and your jerseys 2 or 3 times! jaysus!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

OK... my friend this is the easiest way to score points on earth...

HELLOOO laundry is really NOT hard.. it's all about process managment!!! it's probably the highest R.O.I. chore in the house... you don't actually have to WORK that's what the machine does.. the folding and sorting is the only pain in tha ars part and guess what you can do that in front of the TV!!!

it takes literally a minute to sort and throw in a load and toss one in the dryer...

OK so you do the first when you get home... then you run out in fit in a quick ride.. come home and before you even put away your bike you throw in another load #2... then you change shower kiss you kids and your wife kisses you .. because you rock... and then your next load is ready to go in by the time you sit down to eat you thow that in before din din #3 and then you fold after dinner as you sit on the couch and catch the news or what ever beauty pagent shit you watch : ) ... that last load get's dried during the fold and by the time you are done the fold and tv show that will be dry fold that one and presto you just did 3 loads of laundry with only "keeping track" in terms of out put of energy... you see this is why you can do this your lovley wife has about 3000 things on her mind and that's why laudry just puts her over the top.. you have to keep track of it that's the hard part... get it into a system it's so perfect for you!!! xxox from the girl that does the laundry in this house... (but NOT the cooking or shopping :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

ha I just had ANOTHER thought your kids are just about the right age to learn to fold thier own stuf!! heck it's a teaching opportunity to boot!!! while watching tv : ) xoxoo c

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

massive man points = possible sex life improvement. potential downfall is that you might get stuck with this chore for life.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

I concur on the man points : ) hello my husband cooks and shops and YOU know about our sex life thanks to big D

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home