Monday, April 02, 2007


Back from Arizona where the racing was fun. Things I broke: One disc brake rotor thing (not sure if that is the right name for the metal piece the brake pads grab--new to the whole disc brake thing), one front derailleur, one right seal on my Fox fork, and one pair of rear brake pads. It was that kind of weekend. Luckily, there were some volunteer mechanics there that were able to take my fork off and then Fox, who was at the race, serviced it. The mechanics then put my bike back together. A shop in town replaced the rotor and brake pad. I serviced the derailleur in a middle of a race type way. Going into the second lap of yesterday's 30 mile cross country race and just having taken over second place and riding away from the rider, I somehow mangled my front derailleur to the point that the drive train would not work. I had to get off the bike and wap the derailleur a few times with a rock to bend it back into functionality. To no avail (hard to believe) so in a steroid like rage I tore the now useless metal from my bike, put the chain in the middle ring and continued on for the next 20 miles praying the chain wouldn't fall off. For the most part my prayers were answered, but I did have to dismount and reattach the chain about five times. Frustrated and losing momentum every time, I hung in there telling myself that breakage and wreckage happens in mountain bike racing and it's how you deal with it that determines your result. In the end, I came home fifth which is still my best finish of a race of this caliber. I've never been able to go fast enough to entertain the idea of being in the top five, so I'm kind of stoked given the fact that with a malfunctioning weapon, I was still able to do well. I was going to do the Madera Stage Race on the 28th and 29th, but now I think I've got unfinished business to attend to at another Norba National near Santa Barbara on the 29th. I finished 4th on GC for the stage race. 3rd in the TT, 5th in something called Super D (but it really was more of a TT type race) and then 5th in the cross country. All in all a good weekend. Griff was sick the whole weekend so he didn't ride all that well. It's always been about beating Griff, but it only feels good when I beat him at his best. Sea Otter looms large. He didn't do the Super D race as he got stung by a bee. He is somewhat allergic so he kind of freaked. I had to race him back to town while I watched him swell before my eyes. He knows I think of him as a hypochondriac--because he is--but he was anxious about not being able to breathe, and that kind of anxiety is no laughing matter. Anyway, hope you are well and see you out there soon.

Johnny GoFast

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the good results! Good to hear.

So...did Griff make it? Hard to tell, the way you ended your post...

Louis

2:07 PM  
Blogger jdub-sama said...

JGF-What a great result. Both TT days and the Cross Country. I know you must be stoked about the final GC standing. I understand your desire to go to Santa Barbara and race more MTB, however, you have some unfinished business at Maderal as well. I think this is the year for you. And you will have much more support from you Pegasaurus team.....They may even bring an extra rock in their jersey pocket in case of a front derailure malfunction.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

No Louis - Griff did not make it. He's dead. But thanks for inquiring.

Johnny - Every time you got off your bike to fix your chain in the XC race, I'm sure you must have been thinking... Well at least I'm still ahead of Griff. I guess I'll keep going.

I was going pretty good on Sunday... 30 minutes after I recovered from my "think I can follow Scott shenanigans" I don't think I would have beat you at all last weekend on a good day. You were having an Elvis year packed into three days! Anyway, results aside it was awesome racing in the dirt. Brought back old sensations.

2:46 PM  
Blogger nosajpalnud said...

nice racin you guys and great result JGF

gonna have to do at least one mtb race before the year is out if I can tear myself away from the road bike

3:58 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Louis--wish you were still riding. You'd dig it the most.

J-Dub--now you've got me torn.

K-Pat--I know you're not dead. The "my lips are numb and my hands itch and you pulled the stinger out instead of brushing it out" antics still have me chuckling. Really fun hanging for the weekend. Like I said, Oz, Bill, Louis, B-Mar, that would have been epic.

No-Jas--Napa Dirt Classic, man. It's everything you want in a dirt race.

4:12 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

wow! sounds epic.

good job!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JGF I'll start ridin' next year, I got two semesters to go before I can start thinking about Dirt, Pavement or Powder (mmmm...Powder...).

The way I see it all the races I did outside of NorCal or Quebec ended after 30 min max so the karma ain't good for them far away races.

Go out there and beat Griff, enjoy it even when he's looking like a scared puffer fish...

Louis

7:52 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Very cool I especially like the part about beating the crap out of the bike with a rock.
Way to hang on to fifth!
J

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home