Monday, September 24, 2007


Okay, does anyone else out there in Blogland just absolutely hate flying? And I'm not talking about being uncomfortable or uninterested but talking about bona fide hate/fear of flying. I fall into the category of traveler that would rather drive than fly. I'm not an idiot (EMC just called a special session to debate this very topic--Is Johnny GoFast an idiot or is he just a guy pin balling his way through the peloton?). It's not like I sit there waiting to slam into the ground at 400 miles an hour. Sure, it lingers there in the back of my head, but it is not the thrust of my insanity. No, I'd say it stems from the realization that if I wanted to, I couldn't get up, go outside and scream at the top of my lungs. Well, I suppose I could do it exactly once, but that's not the point. And for those of you wondering, I've never felt compelled to do this here on Terra firma, it's just that it's always available as an option. Once airborne, that option no longer exists and my skin goes clammy.

Yesterdays travels back from Georgia was made slightly easier by having the wifeage by my side. We had a wonderful time at a rock splitting function at this swanky place on the Georgia sea coast. She helped me pass the time on the plane and it's nice of her to put up with all my idiosyncrasies. Somewhere over the middle of the country somewhere, she lets it slip that my mother believes I shouldn't race Steve Griffiths anymore. She read my blog from last week that indicated I got off my bike at a high rate of speed and skinned up my knee a little. She told Chieko that I probably pushed myself too hard in an effort to beat him, and that it's a fools errand because he's so much faster. Well my head came off my shoulders with that little nugget of love. Like the screaming baby that keeps us all awake, I launched into a diatribe about how Griff has pretty much looked at the business end of Johnny GoFast all year. Sure, he was sick at Phoenix, but I obliterated him in the TT and the XC. Then there was Sea Otter where he was late to the line. Even so, I was fast that day and came in 4th to his 10th. The only other time we lined up this year, Leesville, I pipped him by a few minutes. I crash out of one race and now my mother doesn't think I should toe the line with him. I secretly think that Griff got his wifeage, Tulip, to slip me something in her cooking. But how did she get to my mother? Something is not right and I'm looking to fix all of this Saturday. We are racing the 35+b's and then following that up with the 35+a's race. Somebody will believe (mother that someone is you if you're reading) in me once and for all. Can't keep up with Griff...you have to be kidding me with that garbage. Anyway, four rows of people yesterday heard me go ballistic before they finally got me subdued. And just as the plane was landing, I was finally calming down. But it still gets me riled just a bit. See you Saturday.

Johnny GoFast

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEWS FLASH
This just in...exclusive interview with Steve Griffiths' mother reveals that she has been begging him to end his vendetta with Johnny Sprocket. Through uncontrolled tears she announced that it's getting too bloody dangerous. Details at 11.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chieko is very clever...running low on material, only half way thru the flight...hmmm, what could keep John busy? Better come up with something fast! Sure, getting him going on a Hillary/taxes/environment diatribe would keep him occupied all the way to Tokyo. But then Chieko and roughly 49-51% of the plane would love/hate him by the end. So why not distract him with a Grif challenge and involve Mom for backup. Bravo, it's been a really great year, 2007. Offload the laundry, con him into a remodel on Television with a gay guy, and now this? Well done Chieko.

- Schmidt

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're trap laying to spring a can of whooparse.

Griff

8:13 PM  
Blogger waxer said...

You should try flying into Boise. As you begin you approach and the landing gear start to come down, you gaze out the window and see a 757 in a million pieces under the plane. Pretty Sweet.....

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home