Monday, September 17, 2007


Okay, so I've just about had it with this whole "reverse world" thing Griff has had on me lately. As we know, my complete and total domination came to an abrupt end a couple of weeks ago at his Happy Anniversary/Birthday/Sons Birthday/Griffstockapalooza thing he put together. Two men entered this jousting pit bouncy house type thing and one was unceremoniously bounced out and onto the lawn. I mean c'mon, I tell people I grew up in a lumber camp and then I get pummelled by Griff? Something is not right, for sure.

So yesterday we raced up in Sacramento on cross bikes and he nipped me again. All was going according to plan. He was in second and I was "Hoovering" right behind in third. We both overcame really bad starts which found us in the back after the first minute or so. But we both remained patient, and we gradually worked our way to the front. This was a B race after all, and we were more interested in getting in the training than getting a result, but bikes are bikes and they were meant to be raced. Somewhere during the fourth lap of nine, I slammed into something and popped the tire off the rim so that some of the tube was sticking out. It was making an awful thwacking like noise so I pulled over, let some air out, popped the tire back onto the rim and rolled into the parking lot. I found a guy with a pump and got the pressure back up and started chasing. I was about a minute down at this point and going pretty hard. I could catch glimpses of Griff and the other dude when the course doubled back on itself. Shortly thereafter, however, I over cooked a turn and I slammed myself into the ground. In front of a pretty decent crowd too. I took my time to make sure my bike was all right (I had to slam one of the brake hoods back into place). Then I did a quick inventory of me and I seemed to be all right too, so I remounted. (Please see previous post regarding pissed off wifeage who will not let me quit a race unless the bike is unrepairable or serious medical attention is required--flats, ice packs, and band aids do not qualify for drop outs) At this point I gave up the chase and just concentrated on finishing. My right knee took the brunt of the blow, but seemed to be working fine despite the large type protrusion coming from just below the knee cap. My left thumbnail was bleeding profusely, and it became apparent that it would be coming off shortly. Today I've got all sorts of bruises about the body, the ribs hurt, the thumb is throbbing and the knee is stiff. But no real worse for wear, so I'll get a ride in at lunchtime and figure out how to reverse the tide. Hope you are well and that Griff doesn't cast his evil eye your way.

Johnny GoFast

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys sandbagged in the Bs?

sorry bout the mishap

JD

10:52 AM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

We were definitely bagging sand and neither of us did it the best. Pretty pathetic showing all the way around...but fun none the less.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Nice to hear you got out there.

I really wanted some of that bizness, but, well, you saw the pics.

Going to CCCX this weekend?

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there were ever any doubt about why you shouldn't ride a bike in the dirt....

3:01 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Gianni-
No cross for me this weekend. Taking the wifeage on a second honeymoon, although she will be the first to tell you that the first honeymoon was BS havig had to spend it with her two new brother in laws up in Truckee and that this thing we're going to this weekend is a work function, but you can't please 'em all. Good luck down there. I'm dialed up for the Lion of Fairfax as my first "real" cross race.

Winder-
Falling on dirt is way more comfortable than falling on pavement. FYI.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah that stuff is fun - bagged some sand last year on the mtb

coming out of early season retirement to mix it up in Chico this weekend

JD

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprocket, I just love this post. Love it, love it, love it. Don't know why but it seems like one of your better posts since before that Candlestick CX race last year where you beat me. Hmmm, Hmmm, Good.

Shit JD, early season retirement is when you go out in the middle of summer. You've missed like 3 weeks of racing. That's no retirement.

-Griff

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home