Monday, April 14, 2008


I have no idea whose hand that is, but that clearly is my brain and I want it back. I've been in a bike rut of epic proportions as of late, for a multitude of reasons, and it's left me slower than I'd like for this time of year. I've given up on training and have basically pedalled around when I've been given the opportunity or had the motivation. That being said, at least my brain has been firing on all cylinders. Or so I thought. Whilst talking to the Griffociraptor on Saturday night, he mentioned that Oz was doing some mountain bike race on Sunday. I figured it was a CCCX deal or something and dismissed it without much thought. Sunday morn, while gobbling down my omelet and in blessed anticipation of going to the Giants game with the boy, I got on the web to find out what race Oz was going to. To my shock and horror, I saw that the Napa Valley Dirt Classic was scheduled for April 13th. WTF? I'm almost 100% certain that I looked that up some time ago and the schedule had it for the 27th. Or maybe I just figured it was the 27th because the Wente Road Race is the 26th, and for the last few years, I've done these as a double barrel of pain. Regardless of the fact that I'm as slow as Griff on his way to a John McCain fundraiser event, I still had every intention of riding the NVDC. It's such a cool event and the trails are absolutely fantastic. So it's just another DNS for me this year in what is becoming a very long list. I'd throw in some cuss words here to emphasize my frustration, but my Aunt Judy is an occasional reader so I don't want to offend. The rest of you, not so much. Anyway, hope you are well, and if you raced, you had a smile on your face.

Johnny GoFast

1 Comments:

Blogger duncanjr said...

Hey there Jack. It never ceases to amaze me how us humans can torture ourselves. You surely are a piece of shit for missing this race... feel better? I think I've missed a few 'appointments' in my day, but my failure to appear credentials pale in comparison to yours.

While you're on your own case for being in a 'bike rut', I want you to know that I went 4817m in 20 (continuous) minutes on the erg last Friday.

Happy Birthmonth, my friend!

Duncan.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home