Monday, September 22, 2008



So apparently the chickens need a chicken coop. Up until now, they've lived in a bunny hutch (which has me terrified now that there will be a coop with chickens in it and a vacant bunny hutch in need of bunnies) in a little fenced in area of our yard. The idea is that if we (and I use that term very loosely) can build them a proper structure, they will lay their eggs in the proper location as opposed to "somewhere" in the yard. The bunny hutch doors are usually left open and being a little on the stupid side, the chickens have decided they can fly. So out they come and they've been free range-ing all over the back yard. Searching for eggs on Easter, kind of fun. Foraging for eggs for your breakfast...not so much.

So my wifeage, knowing my limited skill set, somehow ordered herself up a friend that is good and actually enjoys projects like this. In the photo above, you can actually see Jesse in full work mode carrying one of the framed walls. At one point, I pulled up a bench so the kiddiewinks and I could watch him work. He stated he'd never worked in front of a live audience before. I feel like in my own little way, I've helped out some in this little endeavor. Anyway, soon we will have a state of the art coop in which the chickens will escape. Hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

5 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

You've almost got me talked into this chicken idea.

Good riding with ya this weekend, and a excellent result Sunday.

Looks like Project Johnny is going along swimmingly.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Hey thanks, man. Right back at 'cha on the excellent result. Your python like legs are doing you some service these days.

As much bitchin' as I do about all the livestock around my spread, they are kind of cool. It's fun to sit in the back yard and watch them interact.

Catch you rollin' soon again.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My neighbors already have 3 chickens. I still have no idea why anyone would want farm animals in their backyard, but I support you nonetheless. And they built their own coop. If you have questions or want to compare notes, let me know and I can put you in touch.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

humm - that coop looks like it would hold a cow ... how many bird you got???

3:24 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Paul-I have a coop builder so no need for notes, plans or idle chit chat with a fellow chickenator.

Clare-I got six foot of chicken (three to the non bird farmer). Plans to add three more to the fold. I know one for sure is a Rhode Island, another might be something called a Rockford (?), the last I believe is a Poodle (in other words, I don't know). They're all kicking off a brown egg a piece per day.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home