Thursday, June 15, 2006


So I set up a date with my wife and kids last night, to do an open space walk after work. We like to look for frogs, deer, bobcats, woodpeckers, and anything else that crosses our path. It's a lot of fun to say the least. So I'm sitting there on this rock, 15 minutes past the appointed meeting time and it dawns on me that I'm getting stood up. So I dig out my cell phone, shocked that I have it and even more shocked that there's enough juice in it to place a call. "Oh my gosh, honey, I totally forgot," she says. Dejectedly, I climb back in my car and make the lonely drive back home. No big deal, honest mistake.

Then this morning, I'm having my breakfast and in comes my wife from her run. She says, "thanks for remembering to make my omelet," and sits down to join me. "That's all," I say? Curiously, she looks at me unsure how to answer. I can see the tumblers working themselves into a fit trying to figure out where I'm going with all of this. Satisfied she finally chirps, "can't think of anything else. Sorry about last night again." I go back to eating my breakfast in stone cold silence. Clueless she goes on about something or other. Finally I stop her dead in her tracks and wish her a happy anniversary. "Is that today," she says as tears are welling up in my eyes. She fumbles for a check book to verify the date. "June 15th is today," she digs deeper. "Five of the happiest years of my life are celebrated today by apparently me only," I quiver. With that she throws her arms around me and we do a little impromptu dance. The kids look on in confusion.

She truly is the love of my life and has given me more than I could ever have imagined or hoped for. Oh, and for those of you wondering, nothing real big planned for tonight. About a week ago, I asked if we could get a babysitter arranged for this evening and she said, "what for?" Apparently I haven't had quite the same impact on her. Guess I'll go ride.


Johnny GoFast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home