Sunday, September 30, 2007


It's just great to be cyclocross racing again. Did the Lion of Fairfax yesterday with the Griff and others and had a blast. I love this time of year with the crystal blue skies, moderate temperatures, and pleasant vibes from a less than agro sect of the biking world. Sure, you're at or over the redline and you're rippin' through stuff on less than mountain bike like equipment, but it's all good. Smiles are everywhere especially on the line.

Griff and I launched on the M35+b's and their was a lot of pride on the line. A) If you're going to ride the moped, you'd better do it right. B) If you're going to throw down with Griff, you'd better bring your stuff. I failed on A when I dropped my chain and I failed on B because Griff has it going on right now. He got dogged by some Z-Teamer and I shut 'er down on the last lap under the guise of "saving it" for the M35+a's race later that day. Question: If you're bagging sand in the B's race and somebody beats you, what do you call the guy that beats you? Don't know, but that guy should move up.

The A's race was predictably more ballistic. Maile went off the front and opened a huge gap. Some DFLer was in second and there was the Oz in third. He's been under the radar all year claiming the ick and work and what not and then unleashes a furious ass kicking at his first race. Holy shyte was he moving. Save for a last lap pancake, he would have made the podium for sure and stood next to Maile who won and Gannon Myall. That's lofty company. The funniest thing witnessed was Griff checking the air pressure in the DFLer's front tire on the start line. That's almost like feeling out your neighbors boobs. The DFLer was good natured about it and simply reciprocated the feel. They both smiled demurely at each other agreeing that the pressure was equal and exactly right and then they giggled. Only at a cross race. As for me and Griff...about half way through the race we sat in 11th and 12th and in a pack of four of five guys. Griff had come backwards after a really hard/great start and had settled in behind me. It was going to be a thrown down for sure but then he flatted and that was that. I was having a great ride and felt strong but then I flatted and sadly my day was over as well. But that's racing and the good thing about the cross scene around here is that there is another race next weekend. See you there and bring your grin.


Johnny GoFast

4 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

That Lion sounds tuff.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good report. Fun racing as per usual. Too bad we flatted, although I do admit that for the 10 minutes preceeding that is exactly what I was hoping as I was sliding backward and fighting the strong urge to quit. I even invited two guys to pass me at one point (which of course they obliged). Can you believe that! Just need to stay in a keep pedaling through the pain. Anyway, I was just starting to feel better and think about moving up again when I flatted so I'm curious to know how it would have ended. Oz... wow!

-Griff

8:25 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

I would have traded a flat for laying it down.
You guys rode well, the 35 Bs are actually pretty fast. I felt like I was sandbagging a couple years ago, but not anymore. the 4th at the Lion was the best I have seen this year.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why people still use to read news papers
when in this technological globe everything is presented on web?



Feel free to surf to my homepage: cheap cccam server sky uk

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home