Monday, March 31, 2008


I guess I'm a lot like you in that I consider myself a good parent and role model to my kids. Every once in a while I do wonder, however. Back in college, on rare occassion, you could find me now and again in the library. I'd study for a while, but eventually I'd grow bored of the exercise. Invariably, I'd fold up a piece of paper into a triangle and slide it across the table toward Griff. Everyone knows that the only acceptable action at this point is to slide it back. You repeat the routine until someone hangs the triangle off the edge of the table for a touchdown, or your opponent inadvertently slides the triangle off the table three times. If this happens, you get to try and flick the triangle through your friend's fingers that are fashioned to look like a goal post. This is called "Paper Football" and I used to routinely crush Griff.

So I'm sitting there the other day at the restaurant with the family and Jackson and I start playing. The wifeage, out of the corner of her eye, sees the boy flick the triangle up and over the goal posts in my direction. "What the heck are you two boys doing," she asked. Jackson, not even looking in her direction blurts, "we're playing football Mom. I'm winning 18-14."

"You're playing what," she asks. "It looks ridiculous and I don't think it's appropriate." With that, the waitress showed up and said, "Okay boys, you need to put the football away."

"See," I say. "Even the waitress knows what this is." Of course she does. How many games have been brought to an abrupt end with the delivery of the meal. Countless, no doubt. Anyway, after the meal, Jackson and I started right back up. We were having a great time until I kicked a field goal right over Jackson's head and into the salad of the lady at the next table. Jackson giggled, the wifeage scowled, and I apologized. But I feel confident that the boy is on his way to greater things now that he is well versed in the art of "Paper Football." Hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home