Thursday, March 13, 2008


So my wife is probably alot like your's in that she controls everything. And when I mean everything, I mean even the last nickel in my pocket. I'm extremely cool with this set up as I like to be in control of nothing. I've got enough on my plate that the last thing I need is something to control. I got lucky when I married the wifeage as by some stroke of luck we ended up being fiscally compatible. And if I had to choose something at this point in my life, fiscal compatibility would certainly rank somewhere on the list between "sex me up frequently" and "my baby can find the remote in less than 30 seconds". Anyway, fiscal compatibility and an uber controlling wife does have its getting used to. At the beginning of each month I get an allowance. This is the walking around money that the rest of you have ready made access to down at the ATM. No such luck here as an ATM card doesn't live in my wallet (actually it does but without knowledge of the pin...does it really?). I can use this money for whatever pleases me. Bike parts (all the Wells Fargonads wondering why I won't spend the $8 on some new bar tape), entry fees, beers with the boys down at the bar, "Kristen", etc. There's no accounting necessary, the wife just marks down in her little ledger somewhere that I've been paid and then she's onto worrying about the next fiscal priority. It's pretty sweet.

So we're sitting there at dinner tonight and she asks me, "what's Rudy's Project?" A little know secret is that she does let me roam the halls with a credit card for those random moments when my cash won't play. "Rudy's Project," I scrammble. It hits me that some charge has shown up on the credit card bill and I've failed yet again to give her fair warning. "It's like Habitat for Humanity," I lie. "Except it's run by Rudy Guiliani. Turns out Rudy is heavily involved in building high end condos for those rich people that aren't quite rich enough to get themselves into the highest of high end real estate. It's tax deductible...I looked it up."

"It's bike stuff isn't it," she says. I nod knowing there's no controlling a controller. And I'm cool with that. Hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

you get an allowance?

hmmm.

i kind of like that idea.

10:59 PM  
Blogger jdub-sama said...

My kids get $5 per week. They do minimal chores on Saturday AM. They complain EVERY Saturday that I have ruined their entire weekend. Sad for them that they rarely get the $5 because I say they complained too much and didn't do a good job with the chores. They have no ATM card and no VISA. Sounds like you have a leg up on them. Of course, they are only interested in going to the Yogurt Factory (which can be as expensive as Rudy Project for a family o'5)

I get the luxury of running our books. We are on a very tight budget this year. The Rudy Project "donation" had to be shipped to my work address. I can hide the bill but not the UPS box.

That helmet is going to make you the fasted guy in your next Crit.

10:11 AM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

rudy's projects...


classic!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I don't normally mind being used for comedic purposes but I must weigh in on this particular blog (It's the wifeage here if you couldn't tell). First ask yourselves why a grown man does not have an ATM card? Answer - he has forgot the code twice and his wife will not go once again to the bank (or call because we know how well that worked out) to get him another pin. Recently I reminded him the he actually could get cash at any time with his drivers licence as the account is still currently in both our names, to which his reply was 'oh yeah'. Now would you trust your finances to this man?

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rower Dude,
How are you? I did the Bakery a few weeks ago. Missed ya' Say hi to C. for me.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

In the house of the Nome, fiscal compatibility = separate checking accounts.
We split the bills down the middleish, and what each one spends their extra on is their business.

It's not perfect, but we haven't fought about money in 10+ years.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home