Wednesday, March 19, 2008


I got nothing against the Country Griffiths'. They're good hardy people living on their farm up there in Granite Bay with their animals and such. I even respect that they're putting in a cement pond. Bodes well for me and mine when we visit from time to time. But I got to put my size 13 down on this nonsense that keeps flowing my way. The other day I found a book on the kitchen counter (sent courtesy of old lady Griffiths-Tulip to those of you who have howdy'd but hadn't shook yet) with a title to the effect: How to Build a Better Chicken Coup. Really? Is that something I really need to know? Well apparently after talking to the wifeage, we are past the idea phase of this whole thing thanks to Tulip. She has chickens and apparently we are on our way. Of course I'm the one that's been tasked with building the coup so maybe this chicken will never get off the ground. But I wouldn't bet on it. My wife is a lot like yours in that she has ways to get what she wants. Heck, the way things are going here at the rockpile, maybe I'll go full time into chicken farming. Why oh why did I marry somebody that feels that we need to cohabitate with livestock? One will never no, I suppose. Hope yer doin' down right fine.

Johnny FarmFast

4 Comments:

Blogger Oz said...

Yo, Mundo... Tulip has chucked an egg into the Moraga parade as well. Said mentioned chicken book and person has convinced the mrs that a combination of chicken and goat shit is just what our backyard needs to feed the wild birds and fertilize the lawn. WTF?!

So I guess the boys will be coating themselves and their toys in the backyard before jumping into the pool and running into the house. This should be really great. I suspect full out baby ruth style crap nuggets are good for skin conditioning... and I wonder if this is added fodder to lobby for new carpets once the existing coverage becomes brown and smelly.

Sometimes I just don't understand these women. Is this all part of a masterplan bait and switch? Something like, "OK, I won't get a bunch of farm animals, chicken coups, pig pens, etc. for the backyard, but that means we need to re-paint the entire house and install a breakfast nook." It's going to sound like a good compromise to her when I'm thinking... me and the boys can stop taking showers and start nature potty #2 in the backyard.

Anywho... this is probably just the stress of sleep deprivation talking. Give me a few nights of real sleep and I'll probably be looking forward to fresh, organic eggs coming from the backyard.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

I'm jealous, I've been wanting a chicken or two for a while now.

But what to do with my killer mutt?

And we get the raccoons, especially if they sense my mutt is no longer on patrol..

Anyway, keep us updated.

You cross racers must have a lot of time on your hands... I need to be one of those.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

I'm currently living with 3 chickens, 2 chics, 1 lizzard, 1 dog - soon to be dead, 1 guinea pig, 3 frogs in a frogquarium, and a half dozen tadpoles in some smelly water in the washer room. Also, there's a bunny hutch in the back yard now. I wonder what will go into that? Tulip says; "Honey, we're getting rabbits for Phoebe"... "Yes honey, can I go for a 3 hour ride?" ;)

11:15 AM  
Blogger jdub-sama said...

Johnny Chicken, I have been down the poultry path. As you know, small livestock is OK in little Alamo. No large livestock unless you are zoned R40 (1 acre parcel). Then you can have 2 head(horses, cows, zebras, what ever). My tip: When you are done having fun with the chickens, forget to lock the coupe at night. It will be just a little time before survival of the fittest takes over. And may I suggest you are the first one out in the morning to collect the carnage. No need for the J-man to be traumatized.

I have a used feeder and waterer if you are interested. The carnage is all over at my barn.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home