Friday, October 24, 2008

I've lost my mind. Or that's at least what the wifeage said to me when I said I needed tubular wheels for my cross bike. I've been having issues with those Tufo tubular clinchers rolling off the rim lately, but I've been getting away with it. I had some rub working for the last two laps at Laguna Seca and some serious rub working the last couple of laps at McLaren. Gives me pause no doubt. So I went home and told the wife that I need some new wheels, tubulars specifically, and she took a big deep breath. Times are tight around the GoFast household and there just isn't the type of liquidity we've seen in days gone by. But she paused, and I said, "do not let the next thing that comes out of your mouth be the thing that gets me to dnf'n at these races." She's been cool this year and I'm running a mostly new rig this year (because she knew I was due for an upgrade in the Millennium Falcon department), but the tire/wheel thing ain't cutting it and she knows it. So she asked how much I could get it done for and I lied my ass off something serious and she okay'd the expenditure. So I think I'll be gingerly riding the course this weekend on the tubular/clincher set up, but next week I should be joining those that figured this tubular thing out long ago. Funny how the nicest set of wheels I will own will be on the bike that gets hammered the most. I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyway, looking forward to seeing all you all at the Spooktacular this Sunday. Oh, and if you can spare a dime, I'd be right appreciative. New wheels and tubulars, not so cheap you know.

Johnny Go(broke)Fast

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you see that? Thats my heart bleeding for you...

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Johnny, if you want to do it cheap I have some tubular rims in the garage, and can get you a good price on hubs and spokes... Email me if you're interested.

I'm surprised you've been racing on clinchers! (clincher-tubies even)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Hey thanks Morgan. I had a guy that moved into my neighborhood that is a totally bike parts geek. He had the Bontrager Race XXX lite's just laying around unused. We haven't totally banged out the final price but it's going to be pretty good.

Robert, I'll be banging my tin cup on your front door first. Share the wealth, man. You are always big pimpin' on the bike bling. Us "have nots" demand equality.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

You will be blown away how good it is.

I've been out in the garage putting the new ride together with some Morgan specials and cannot wait.

Like magnets, even for us bigger guys and the a bit higher pressures.

And oh- so Eurocool.

No Livermore to getthe party started?

J

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home