Thursday, October 04, 2007


Do you know this man? He's none other than Chris Lieto and he can throw down in a triathlon. And I mean the real deal. He's currently the reigning fastest American in the Ironman series and a favorite to win it all this year. Normally I avoid the whole triathlon scene as it is even geekier than the road bike scene. But Chris is the genuine article and he's one of those that can see the dream, believe in it, and pursue it with unwavering determination.

I met Chris a few years ago through my brother. They swam and played polo together back in high school. I was a football player and never dreamed I would swim let alone put on a speedo. But my brother convinced me that it was great exercise and that I should give it a try. I did and I got to be pretty good. Naturally, I was sucked into doing some tri's and that's where I got to know Chris. He's quick with a smile and remains upbeat always. Despite getting his foot crushed by a car a number of years ago and being told he'd never run again, Chris never lost sight of his goal of becoming a professional triathlete. Today he's in the conversation of being one of the best. That's pretty damn great.

Around these parts, Chris is simply known as the guy that takes the pipe to everyone on Saturdays on the House of Pain ride. Some of his pulls are legendary. He'll go to the front and start riding tempo and the group of 75 riders or so will shatter. Later, he'll still be pulling on the front with only the best able to hold his wheel. He's done some racing for the Strawberries and he fared pretty well up at a stage race in Oregon taking 7th behind riders from Health Net, Navigators, Priority Health (Ben Jacques-Maynes) and Toyota United. That's damn good considering all those that finished in front of him are full time road pros. Anyway, he's got a real chance this year over on Kona so send him a vibe or two. I've also posted a link to his website under Tri Geek Extraordinaire so you can check in directly on his lead up to the race. Hope you are well.


Johnny GoFast

1 Comments:

Blogger nosajpalnud said...

6th place is awesome. Hard to compete against a 2:42 off the bike.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home