Monday, October 29, 2007


It wouldn't be another weekend if I didn't DNF out of a race for a mechanical issue. Yesterday, was no different than any other this cross season having suffered a pinch flat about 25 minutes in to the Surf City cross race. A race I almost didn't attend due to being a bit under the weather. I did show, and I'm glad I did. The course was really fun and the venue was spectacular. Good music and overall vibe. Just wish my luck went a little deeper.

Anyway, do you know the guy in the 35+A's category that wears a skin suit with a crazy floral pattern? I got up close and personal with him and now I'm left with a herpes like sore on my upper lip. You see, he had just passed me going over the single barrier before the ravine jump thing above the football field. Sensing that he had a little more mojo, I dug deep to draft his wheel. As we rocketed down the single track, unbeknownst to either of us, the course tape had been taken out and both of us careened off course. He realized a bit more quickly than I did (frankly, I was seeing double due to the effort) and he grabbed his brakes in full stop mode. By the time I realized what was happening, that floral pattern was coming at my face (or vice versa as the case may be) at break neck pace. And I planted my face into his back that I'm sure he's still feeling today. I quickly apologized for taking him from the rear and he apologized for taking us off course. In that nanosecond, a DFLer got by us (the tattooed one--not the one with the pronounced nose, he was having a great race a number of spots in front of us) but we quickly got back on track. A little later I flatted and that was that.

I saw the floral guy in the parking lot later and we giggled at each other and apologized again. What can you do? Anyway, next weekend is McLaren Park and I will finish. The planets have to align sooner or later don't they? Hopefully my lip heals by then.

Johnny GoFast

10 Comments:

Blogger The VoMonster said...

Sorry to hear about your race. The cross season has been tough on you.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Mr. Floral pattern because he vexxed me for a while at that damn Pilarcitos race where I got relegated at the start. I was happy to finish those flowers off before the end but he was sure going pretty hard early on.

Hey, I'll say a prayer for your next race that you don't get any mechanicals. That ought to fix it.

Griff

9:32 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

wow! bummer! hopefully next week will be more "fruitful" for you.

we had quite a few flats in our neck of the woods as well.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Grey said...

If only the course tape hadn't been sagging between the two posts directly after the broken tape, then perhaps my first thought wouldn't have been, "hey, if I slam on my brakes I might be able to ride back on to the course instead of having to dismount and jump over the course tape." That way perhaps our little backwoods meeting could have been a little gentler on you. For my part, I don't want to imply anything about your manhood, but my backside is really not any worse for wear from our "impact." I guess all that remounting we do during races must numb a guy up back there.

In all seriousness I'm glad you weren't hurt--I saw you'd quit the race and assumed it was because of the crash.

Your description of me also makes me think we'd be doing the sponsor more justice if her name was actually on our clothing. We just figure everyone at a 'Cross race knows Sheila.

See you at Mclaren.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Grey said...

p.s. your descriptions of the DFL guys are funny, especially since it's so clear who's who. Dave Devlin is the tattooed guy, Mr. Pronounced Nose would be Drunk Brad Koester.

And the guy who's killing us all this year is Dan McNally.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Velo Bella said...

everyone knows Sheila Moon

no name required

10:46 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Got Lip?

10:55 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Griff-Floral pattern fast, mos def.

Lauren-Currently searching options to avoid mechanicals. You may see me out there on tractor tires Sunday.

Grey-Glad to hear that you aren't hurting. I felt pretty bad for slamming into you. I know now that you can tolerate a lot more and will really ramp up my effort for our next backwoods chance encounter. I go so easy the first time.

VB-Shiela Moon's floral pattern is now permanently etched upon my psyche.

G-My lip looks like a baby scratch compared to your face plant of a few weeks ago. The difference is that with your work, nobody would assume that you had herpes. They might think that you got in a fight with a truck driver instead. My little scratch is so perfectly placed that strangers murmur to each other as I pass. Embarrassing.

8:14 AM  
Blogger dblrider said...

Johnny - May I suggest a little more air in ye olde tires? I tip the scales in the 175-180 range and run 45 in the front, 55 in the back. Knock on wood, no pinches so far. Could I run lower? Probably... Is it worth flatting out? Not really. Granted, I'm in the B's, not the A's, but I've finished every race, no flats (seriously knocking on every piece of wood). Good luck Sunday at MacLaren.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

DB-I'm bigger than you. I normally run 70, but went with less at Surf City and that was that. Just dropped $100 per on some Tufo Tubulars and got some sealant to boot. I run tubeless on my Mtb bike and it's been great. Hoping for similar on the cross bike. We shall see. Never thought I'd see the day that I would spend $200 for cross bike tires.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home