Sunday, October 28, 2007


When you live in suburbia, I guess you do what the suburbians do. Naturally this includes doing the soccer routine. We, or I should more accurately say the wifeage, signed the boy up for under six soccer. I'm of the opinion that you should really only sign your kid up for that which they beg to do. That way, it's their idea and they will be that much more into it. Just last year, the boy said he loathed (not allowed to use the word hate in this family) soccer. At the time, it brought a smile to my face due to the word usage (pretty advanced for a four year old) and used correctly. Not a big fan of soccer. I mean the deity of your choice did give us arms after all. In any event, we signed him up and he's been okay about going to the games.

I was resigned to the fact that the boy just isn't that good at soccer. In fact, up until yesterday, I probably would have told you he is the worst one out there on the field. But development at this age is an amazing thing. From potty training to writing to reading to athletic development, each kid goes at their own pace. And what can frustrate us as parents one day, can be a thing of the past tomorrow as the kid develops. You have to keep a keen eye out because it happens so quickly.

So yesterday morning I'm at the boy's soccer game with the girl in tow. I've got the chairs and my Pepsi (I wish I could quit) and the sports page and I'm settling in with the girl as the boy goes through the pre-game drills. The drills are the best part as he really seems to try and actually does pretty well with what they want him to do. But in the game, he's a little shy and afraid to mix it up or even kick the ball. The game started and I kept only a half an eye on the action as I horsed around with the girl. But soon it became apparent that something had changed. Jackson dribbled the ball at one point, made a pass to a teammate, made a couple of nice kicks and even took a corner kick. I distracted the girl by asking her to shout out any number that she could read. I put away the paper, my focus squarely on the game. I even mumbled something to the girl to keep her eye on Jackson because he seemed destined to score. Not a minute later, I watched with my mouth agape as Jackson went to the front of the goal, put his hand in the air and shouted to his teammate with the ball that he was all alone. And the ball came his way and he booted it into the goal. I was certain that he kicked it, but I only knew for sure when he immediately turned and looked at me for my approval. Without knowing, I stood there with both my hands in the air and he smiled. I knew that he had done it. I have had a lot of fortune in my life. More than a person probably has a right too. And I guess as a parent, all you want in this world is for your children, just every once in a while, to taste that joy as well. One of the better days of my life yesterday. Hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Blogger biga said...

You really need to look at your readership. Because the best story in a long while (this one) gets overlooked and you get comments on an interview with your bike.

I loathe (thanks Jackson) cyclists.

11:05 AM  
Blogger dblrider said...

Johnny - Great post. Kids are so amazing, aren't they? Both of mine are playing soccer (U12 and U10 already!) and having a blast. They're at the point where they improve every day. And then there's the personality development...

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to frame the diagram of the play Jackson gave me. What a triumph!!!! It's a joy to savor the story....Momage

4:01 PM  
Blogger biga said...

Momage
Could you please post the diagram. (Just snap a picture of it). And provide any commentary by father or son.
biga

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

biga

You know full well that I don't know how to post the diagram. However, I'm hiring an IT team to help. Jackson's public deserves this information.
Momage

10:43 AM  
Blogger biga said...

I would assume that Mr. Go Fast would snap a digital picture and then upload it to his on-line vault of pics.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home