Wednesday, November 14, 2007


So my wife is probably a lot like your wife, or if you are the wife, probably a lot like you. She flitters this way and that, shuttling the kids this way and that. An exhausting pace, that has her ragged by the end of the day. But it could be worse, I suspect. You see, the other day when I got home from my race in Prunedale, we had the usual discussions on how it went, what broke, who'd I beat, etc. It was then that I asked her if she was planning on coming to any of the races. At the beginning of the cross season, I gave her a schedule of races, when I would leave the house and return from said race and then I underlined those races that I would hope she would consider coming to. You know, it's kind of cool getting to race in front of the kids. The wife, not so much. I mean don't get me wrong, I love that she's there. Sometimes, however, her take on it is a little different. Keeping two squirrelly little kids from getting run over while watching agro spandexed dorks go around in circles while mud occasionally flings her way, is not exactly high on her list of things to do. But, if she ever does go to a race, she says she likes the cross races the best. And she hasn't been to one this year. Anyway, I challenged her that she had long ago lost my list. It's then that she said, "no I didn't. I put it in the Activities Binder under Race Schedule." Okay, stop. Go back and read my wife's quote, but this time, do it in a geeky Poindexter type voice. Anyway, she then produced this book that had everything in it. It was like seeing the whole family schedule for the next forty years. Ballet sections, gymnastic sections, family vacation sections, sports and leisure sections. Amazing. I've read about these suburban women that snort their kid's Ritalin to give them that extra boost. I don't know where she's scoring her go-go, but holy mackerel, she's got it going on.

Anyway, the race went great as you all know. The course was outstanding and I felt pretty strong through out the race. It was fun to be out there mashing in the mud. My result, as Griff was so quick to point out, was exactly mediocre (just as many in front of me as behind). But I at least was in spitting distance of some fast guys this time, so that's cool.

The wife is headed out of town tomorrow on a much deserved Wild Women Weekend. But with the Activities Binder, how could I go wrong?

Johnny GoFast

3 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

The missus C loves her some cross racing.
The only races she'll come to, basically.

Good racing Sunday.
J

2:12 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

We will have to introduce your wife to mine (Groovy T). It only took 10 years to get her on a bike, but it was music to my ears when she muttered the words "I have to race" in reference to the Livermore Cross series.
She is loving cross...in a participatory way as much as a spectator/water bottle handler.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Clare Carver said...

I think you guys need to organize a cross race on our farm... I think all the elements are here... a really freggin' steep hill that I'm sure can't all be ridden. We've got burn piles big ruts logs woods streams, bogs and lots of shit to get your self hurt on... it will be fun ... hey you can get get really creative and involve the farm animals ... And I'm thinking there will only be 1 lap not several...

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home