Monday, November 26, 2007


Well how about that, my mood is in the toilet yet again. This cross racing thing is really starting to wear me down. How is it that I do this for fun and I end up so pissed off? Yesterdays race will take all of a nanosecond to detail. Turn two, I got collected in a crash, smashed my mouth into someone elses pedal, ruined my derailleur and couldn't continue. Cut the mouth up pretty good, but didn't lose any teeth. Sore, but they're still in there as we speak. I was in my car and headed home before the people that came to race were done with lap two. When it comes to racing, I hate my luck. Then again, I guess I'm not exactly creating it either, so maybe I need to rethink all this.

As for the rest of the weekend...the boy got sick on Thanksgiving day which put a damper on going over to the brothers for the feast. Did manage to do the race/ride on Thursday morn and was somewhat in the mix until the end. Pegasus managed to repeat winning the most glorious race there is as Pat McLaughlin easily won the sprint against some reigning national crit champion. I'm horrible with names and basically have to be told who's good and who's a so and so, but everyone concluded that it was a great accomplishment to beat the kid.

Did the House of Pain on Saturday with Jonathan Laine of Sierra Nevada Bikes Plus fame. Talked about all sorts of non-sense which made the ride that much more enjoyable. Apparently he's got some new fangled training book that indicates that to get faster, you need to sometimes go slower and focus on moderate intensity. With this nugget of knowledge, no doubt, Mr. Laine will be flying in no time.

Anyway, hope you are well.

Johnny GoFast

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe someone with a copy of that book can be conned into trading it for a set of those fancy rims Griff makes fun of...looks like "slow" or "fast" are still abstract thoughts looming out on that horizon past "finish".

12:35 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

bummer!

man, what luck you're having. but from here i think things can only get better.

that was me, waving my fingers at you as we passed by in that big safari cruiser as you were riding up from your car.

morgan said, "there's gofast" and i twiddled my fingers, hello, at you.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Living mouth -to-pedal is never a good way to go, JS.
Got to get you out of that thrashfest.
I always have bad luck at that race and this year listened to the missus and stayed home and rode with the boyz instead.
And your doode Pat wuz cool in the peloton early, I had no idea he was chosen to be the Blackhawk Sign Assassin. looking forward to the 3's with him this year.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Johnny GoFast said...

Anon-I've thought of that myself and the trade is in the works.

Lauren-I figured it was you when I saw Morgen's mug over your shoulder as you waived. It's nice to have finally met you, if however fleeting it was.

Gianni-I was looking for you on the ride on Thursday. I must have been a little off the back somewheres. Pat the Pegasaurus is a protected sprinter and he can really close. It's going to be fun leading him out. He's a super great guy. Hopefully he doesn't get recruited away. Everyone back at the OtherBikeStore in Danville was abuzz about his ability. As for eating bike parts...I've found that a little ketchup and some beer makes it much more of a delicacy. My mouth hurts more today but I'm in the mood to eat some derailleur for lunch. Hopefully the teeth will feel better by then.

9:13 AM  
Blogger dblrider said...

Johnny:

I feel your pain. I tried to gnaw on my handlebars going over the first barrier on the first lap. On the third lap, I decided to sample the gravel at the bottom of the last downhill. Another rider (he knows who he is) decided that my rear wheel was too round and making me go too fast (and hence my gravel sampling), so he ran over it and bent it for me (though I somehow managed to continue anyway, no wonder it felt like I was riding though wet cement!). However, I'm still smiling through the pain (argh - sitting down HURTS right now) and the kidlets had so much fun that they're asking "Dad, when's the next race?", so how can I refuse??? Hope your luck takes a huge turn for the better!

Ken

10:26 AM  
Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

Just for the record; it was Oz dogging "goFast"s new rims. I'm not a player hater.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home